40 Encouraging Bible Verses to Overcome Test Anxiety



40 Encouraging Bible Verses to Overcome Test Anxiety 

My days of experiencing test anxiety are behind me, but I remember well the pressure of wanting to maintain good grades with a big test looming on the horizon. Now I’m in a season of helping my kids learn to handle the pressures of test-taking, and these Bible verses for test anxiety have been helpful.

Whether it’s my second grader’s weekly spelling test, the occasional big test my high schooler has in pre-calculus, or the lengthy exam season for my college student, nothing interferes with peace of mind quite like test anxiety.

The good news is that God’s Word has boatloads of encouragement for difficult times, including test anxiety. God’s promises have been tried and never been found wanting throughout all of human history.

Let these inspiring Bible verses from the Word of God penetrate your heart, and then turn to God in prayer. The power of prayer is certain in times of trouble and always, filling our hearts with God’s peace and reminding us of God’s mighty hand at work on our behalf.

Bible Verses for Test Anxiety

In nothing be anxious, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honorable, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report: if there is any virtue and if there is any praise, think about these things. Philippians 4:6-8

“Which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his lifespan? Why do you have anxious thoughts about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow. They don’t toil, neither do they spin, yet I tell you that even Solomon in all his glory was not dressed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today exists and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, won’t he much more clothe you, you of little faith? “Therefore don’t be anxious, saying, ‘What will we eat?’, ‘What will we drink?’ or, ‘With what will we be clothed?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness; and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matthew 6:27-33)

Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs it down,
but a good word makes it glad. (Proverbs 12:25)

You will keep whoever’s mind is steadfast in perfect peace,
because he trusts in you. (Isaiah 26:3)

I can do all things through the Lord Jesus Christ, who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:13)


Don’t you be afraid, for I am with you.
Don’t be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you.
Yes, I will help you.
Yes, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)

I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you shall go.
I will counsel you with my eye on you.
Don’t be like the horse, or like the mule, which have no understanding,
who are controlled by bit and bridle, or else they will not come near to you.
Many sorrows come to the wicked,
but loving kindness shall surround him who trusts in the LORD. (Psalm 32:8-10)

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you,” says the LORD, “thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11)

“Therefore don’t be anxious for tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Each day’s own trouble is sufficient.” (Matthew 6:34)

When I am afraid,
I will put my trust in you.
In God, I praise his word.
In God, I put my trust.
I will not be afraid.
What can flesh do to me? (Psalm 56:3-4)

“Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 28:11-30)

In the multitude of my thoughts within me,
Your comforts delight my soul. (Psalm 94:19)

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and don’t lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
and He will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

For the LORD God is a sun and a shield.
The LORD will give grace and glory.
He withholds no good thing from those who walk blamelessly. (Psalm 84:11)

Be strong and courageous. Don’t be afraid or scared of them; for the LORD your God himself is who goes with you. He will not fail you nor forsake you. (Deuteronomy 31:6)

Haven’t you known?
Haven’t you heard?
The everlasting God, the LORD,
the Creator of the ends of the earth, doesn’t faint.
He isn’t weary.
His understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the weak.
He increases the strength of him who has no might.
Even the youths faint and get weary,
and the young men utterly fall;
but those who wait for the LORD will renew their strength.
They will mount up with wings like eagles.
They will run, and not be weary.
They will walk, and not faint. (Isaiah 40:28-31)

For God didn’t give us a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and self-control. (2 Timothy 1:7)

The LORD will fulfill that which concerns me.
Your loving kindness, LORD, endures forever.
Don’t forsake the works of Your own hands. (Psalm 138:8)

Haven’t I commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Don’t be afraid. Don’t be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)


So that with good courage we say,
“The Lord is my helper. I will not fear.
What can man do to me?” (Hebrews 13:6)

For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing will be able to separate us from God’s love which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)

I sought the LORD, and He answered me,
and delivered me from all my fears. (Psalm 34:4)

Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, I give to you. Don’t let your heart be troubled, neither let it be fearful. (John 14:27)

Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your worries on Him, because He cares for you. (1 Peter 5:6-7)

“Therefore I tell you, don’t be anxious for your life: what you will eat, or what you will drink; nor yet for your body, what you will wear. Isn’t life more than food, and the body more than clothing? See the birds of the air, that they don’t sow, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns. Your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren’t you of much more value than they?” (Matthew 6:25-26)

Cast your burden on the LORD and He will sustain you.
He will never allow the righteous to be moved. (Psalm 55:22)

We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, for those who are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)

Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace at all times in all ways. The Lord be with you all. (2 Thessalonians 3:16)

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. (James 1:5)

The LORD is my shepherd:
I shall lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for You are with me.
Your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil.
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and loving kindness shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the LORD’s house forever. (Psalm 23:1-6)

“Aren’t two sparrows sold for a penny? Not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Therefore don’t be afraid. You are of more value than many sparrows.” (Matthew 10:29-31)

The righteous cry, and the LORD hears,
and delivers them out of all their troubles. (Psalm 34:17)


I will lift up my eyes to the hills.
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth. (Psalm 121:1-2)

The LORD, your God, is among you, a mighty one who will save. He will rejoice over you with joy. He will calm you in his love. He will rejoice over you with singing. (Zephaniah 3:17)

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
my God, in whom I trust.” (Psalm 91:1-2)

Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,
and whose confidence is in the LORD. (Jeremiah 17:7)

God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble. (Psalm 46:1)

Looking at them, Jesus said, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” (Matthew 19:26)

I have set the LORD always before me.
Because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. (Psalm 16:8)

But now the LORD who created you, Jacob,
and He who formed you, Israel, says:
“Don’t be afraid, for I have redeemed you.
I have called you by your name.
You are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you,
and through the rivers, they will not overflow you.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned,
and flame will not scorch you.
For I am the LORD your God,
the Holy One of Israel,
your Savior. (Isaiah 43:1-3a)

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for promising that I don’t need to fear even as I walk through the darkest valley. By comparison, test anxiety seems like such a small thing, but I thank You for caring about those things that are important to me. May the peace of Christ rule in my heart as I prepare for and take this test, and may the God of hope fill me with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit I may abound in hope. In the name of my Savior, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.

Encouraged by this? Please share!

Post a Comment

0 Comments